Battle of the Bases: The Ultimate Base Makeup Guide

There are a plethora of products targeted towards perfecting your makeup, bases are definitely one of them! You guessed it. Today we wi...

There are a plethora of products targeted towards perfecting your makeup, bases are definitely one of them! You guessed it. Today we will be exploring the wonderful world of base makeup. They say that the perfect makeup lies with a flawless base. As naturally curious as I am, I had to question whether this was true or not. Admittedly I'm not entirely sold.
Originally I had thought that primers, bases, serums and setting sprays were all rather excessive and really, who needs 50 steps and 20 layers in their routine? I was naive though. My mind was blown after trying Urban Decay's All Nighter Setting Spray (and I can't go back!).
I will be giving an overall review of the products I have tried out so far, which range from high end, to drug store, even Korean makeup. They are a variety of products boasting different effects, including pore minimising, anti-aging, smoothing and even illuminating. I think this post will hopefully help you if you are interested in trying base makeup as I have been having fun testing a huge variety of products in my search for a glorious face. 



Benefit's Porefessional primer is pretty hyped by the online beauty community. I have tried this product many times, beginning from a tester to this full size product. I really like how this primer does a little bit of everything, with a solid performance on all aspects. 
The strength of this primer is its effects on pore minimising (who figures hey?) as well as improving the texture of my skin without being too greasy. This is one of the few primers I have tried that has great pore coverage without the silicon texture that makes your makeup feel uncomfortable and heavy. It blends in seamlessly to the skin, and also blends to an almost transparent colour so it is quite friendly to different skin tones and shades.

The verdict on the Porefessional is that it has a great overall performance. But for someone like me, I don't think that this product is a must have to add to my daily routine. Unlike the other bases I will be discussing, the Porefessional does not have an outstanding function. It does well in perfecting the skin surface, and would be great for photo ops or special events. But adding another step into my everyday doesn't feel justified with this product. And I don't think that I can see the value for the price that it costs.

Porefessional Rating
Price: ★☆
Coverage: 
Wearability (Comfort): 
Versatility (Skin types): 
Overall 



Now the next base makeup I will present to you is entirely different to the Porefessional. I kind of love how different base makeup can be and the types of effects it can give. Isn't it such an exciting variety?
The Baby Choux base makeup by Etude House is also another very popular base with the online beauty community. I picked it up from beautynetkorea. It comes in three different versions I believe, with different functions. I picked up the peach one after using a sample and really enjoying it.
Baby Choux is a primer with a 33+ SPF (yay!). The product is a liquid mousse type texture with a very interesting bounce to it. I like how smooth and silky this primer is, it is so light and wearable as well as easy to blend. It does have a pigment in it which cast a pinky tone, as a base this is great for brightening and a great complement to concealer and highlighting.
I think this is a great every day product because it is easy to apply and comfortable to wear, as well being affordable. If you have pale skin, this product also works as a ver light makeup substitute if you're on the run and want a 'no makeup look'.
The only downside would be that it wouldn't suit all skin types such as darker skin due to the pigment casting a light pinkish tone onto your skin.

Baby Choux (Peach) Rating
Price: 
Coverage: 
Wearability (Comfort): 
Versatility (Skin types): 
Overall 

 Now after really enjoying Etude House's Choux, I decided to try another Korean base. Aura Base by The Saem is also another product that offers a few different versions for different skin functions. I was really attracted to the golden glowy version after a particular rough Winter with my skin feeling dull and dry. This product is a multifunction base that can be worn under your foundation, mixed in with your foundation, or as a liquid highlight on top of your makeup.



I love this product. It has so many uses. I love the really subtle glow it gives my usually super-matte face makeup and it's a really nice change when my skin feels really lifeless. The formula is very watery which is great for all types of application and leaves a dewy and slightly pearly finish which is absolutely beautiful, especially on warm skin tones.
The one thing I would say about this base is that it doesn't seem to have that staying power that the others (as primers) do. Because the product is thin, I think it works best mixed in with your foundy or as a highlighter rather than a under-makeup base, which is where it can kind of disappear under all the makeup.

Aura Base Rating
Price: 
Coverage: 
Wearability (Comfort): 
Versatility (Skin types): 
Overall 



So the next base I've tried is the Perfect Blur. This is a readily available and affordable base (about $12 at Priceline). I think it's quite good at filling in pores, but I don't reach for it often. It is actually most similar to the Benefit Porefessional for a fraction of the cost, and achieves a similar velvety finish. 

With this primer, you do get what you pay for to a certain extent because it feels quite oily on my oily-combination skin. The formula is quite silicon-y. As you can see in my swatch it comes out of the tube in a chunky manner. 
My skin is really sensitive so I don't feel like it's the best primer for me as it clogs my inflamed pores. I think the primer is good for general use though, as well as an affordable dupe for Benefit's Porefessional. If you're skin is pretty unproblematic this could be a good choice for you.

Perfect Blur Rating
Price: 
Coverage: 
Wearability (Comfort): 
Versatility (Skin types): 
Overall 


Onto our final primer which is in a similar game to the Garnier! This is the Maybelline Age Rewind Primer, also available at Priceline





I really love that this primer is clear. It is suitable for all skin tones and don't have a colour cast like most of the other primers in this post do. It's so easy to blend and really moisture enriching. At my ages, I don't necessarily need the anti-aging benefits this product claims but I think it would be perfect if you are looking for something to smooth out fine lines. The product is really easy to use and something I've been reaching for when my skin is a little dry. It feels slightly like a serum.

Similar to the Garnier Perfect Blur, the Age Rewind primer is slightly oily I feel. But much less than the Perfect Blur. This would be a great primer on aged or dry skin and it still works well even though my skin is oily.
Age Rewind Rating
Price: 
Coverage: 
Wearability (Comfort): 
Versatility (Skin types): 
Overall 



FINAL THOUGHTS
There are so many different types of base makeup that propose a variety of functions. I think it's hard to discern which is right for you until you try a few out. Base makeup is is an additional step in my makeup routine, so it is something that as a makeup enthusiast, I've had a lot of fun  experimenting with. It's not necessary and shouldn't be if you have a good foundation, but something I've been willing to try out. Here are my final ratings for the five products mentioned in this review:

Benefit Porefessional 
Etude House Baby Choux 
The Saem Aura Base 
Garnier Perfect Blur 
Maybelline Age Rewind 

Now as I mentioned, how much you suit a base product is most likely subjective to what you want out of it. I enjoyed the moussey light texture of Baby Choux but the lasting power wasn't the best. And I absolutely love the performance of the Porefessional but for something that I find as an unessential makeup step, I don't think it's worth the price. 
The Saem aura base is very different and makes has noticeable effect on my face makeup. This product creates a different look which is why I like it so much, it makes putting on a base worth it! And it is also so light and easy to wear. 
For something of a more traditional base/primer that perfects the skin texture, the Maybelling Age Rewind would be my preferred base makeup. I think it's affordable and does a fantastic job on different skin types.
 My two favourites were the Maybelline Age Rewind and the Saem Aura Base. But definitely figure out what you want from a base makeup and go from there.
Hope you guys found this helpful! xx Angie

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.